Design strategist who loves to tackle complex problems and challenge the expectations for ease of use, simplistic creation, and positive economic impact
Providing nearly two decades of UX/UI design, service design, and information architecture for Fortune 500 companies in variety of industries. I’m passionate about providing design leadership to achieve, and often excel beyond, a company’s business goals. I work hard to push emerging technologies, ensure clear communication to avoid wasted developmental effort, and most importantly produce quality customer-centric services which additionally increase profit and efficiency.
Extensive design process experience from: research, strategy, conceptualizing, evaluation, usability testing, prototyping, and refinement plus:
Task analysis well beyond the the interface to optimize the entire task completion rate and enjoyment for the user. Frequent creator of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to baseline and gauge performance in order to support continued improvements and validation of UX effort.
Improving intuition, navigation, as well as prioritization and de-clutter of information
User Interface Design
Integrator and proponent of UI which reduces cognitive user load such as:
increased personalized content, provision of relevant interface elements based of state and user decisions, and interfaces which cater to both novice and proficient users. Proficient in several prototyping tools including provisioning responsive and adaptive design.
Broad understanding of architecture integration of sites, software, electronics, and systems in relation to human interaction
Marketing and Sales
Marketing: experience collaborating, creating, and sourcing web metrics reviews and analytics , and project pitches. graphic and branding efforts, content strategy, campaign support, infographics, metrics. Sales: experience with lead generation improvements, eCommerce, trading, web, project pitches, campaigns, creating value propositions, and creating client touch-point interfaces.
Understanding and empathy for development concerns such as supporting sustainable elements to reduce coding work (and rework).Knowledge and application of contemporary software development practices such as: JS libraries, alignment of UX work with agile cadences (sprints), asynchronous loading, and functional testing assistance.
Willingness to travel as well as assist in business development and maintenance efforts, executive summaries, and industry presentations
DESIGN CONSULTANT, Dallas, TX, 2020-Present
Insurance, Healthcare, IoT, Government Agency, Finance, and Telecomm
DIRECTOR OF UX, AmerisourceBergen, Dallas, TX, 2017-2019
Directed optimization efforts for Products and Services supporting $Multi-Billion in annualized inventory revenue (2018). Led UX maturity goal setting, evangelism, concept design, usability testing, persona development, and other quarterly objectives. Initiated creation of a design system to quickly scale up usability improvements for dated product UIs and FED. Conducted budget planning, ROI pitches, and quarterly strategy public speaking presentations to ~80 associates and roughly 100 attendees of 2019 Austin Customer Contact Week (CCW) regarding Service Design principles, challenges, and opportunities.
Management of direct, indirect employees, as well as consultant tasking. Duties included: hiring process, motivating, mentoring professional growth, cultivating an ever-learning team environment, and merit planning.
Worked with several entrepreneurial spirited colleagues to advance predictive analysis to optimize expensive oncology drug inventory overhead costs. Conceptualized clinic trial mapping feature as new subscription revenue stream opportunity.
Pushed toward forefront of healthcare industry implementing: responsive web, touch optimized, and regulatory certified as part of a Health System platform with modules. Studied Microsoft Azure Cloud and DevOps suite capabilities to maximize modernization during cloud architecture transition. Certified Leading SAFe Agilist Certificate). Coordinated with marketing to transform disparate brand into a more cohesive platform suite as well as producing and directing a 3min infomercial.
Championed innovation initiatives on research, prototype, and pitch ideas for budget consideration. Power BI/App Insights to advance data science visualization storytelling, creating hackathon use cases, and blockchain for controlled substance track and trace. Conducted outreach with customer support to help them redirect medium/low issue traffic to reduce costs.
HEAD OF UX, OpenCrowd, New York City, NY, 2015-2016
Lead UX design on mobile iOS application coordinating a half-dozen previously silo-ed senior banker activities with a British based team. Additionally aided agency in winning a separate $350k project with the client in less than 4 weeks.
SENIOR UX DESIGN LEAD,Taskstream, New York City, NY, 2015
Led UX design for the second phase of new educational software platform to support aggressive release goals (across three agile development teams on two week sprints). Design efforts focused on modernizing efforts of university staff to create, manage, and evaluate assessment plans and assignments.
- Planned and coordinated design process efforts of product owners, developers, and graphic designers
- Designed information architecture for persona based customizable system to address various use cases
- Setup planning for award submissions to benefit marketing and sales efforts
- Maintained hands on design proficient in Axure to rapidly prototype walkthrough wireframes and interactive examples.
VICE PRESIDENT, UX DESIGN BNY Mellon, New York City, NY 2013 – 2015
Lead UX Designer of BNY Mellon’s Multibillion dollar Global Markets Line of Business designing and optimizing over 10 apps.
As one of the first Sr. Designers brought on by BNY Mellon to assist the UX Director meet various ‘start-up’ goals including:
- Led liaison and coordinator of hiring 5 employees
- Led designer on evolutionary project that won $100k to $1 million in funding over 2 rounds. Included managing 3rd party design firm and presenting to BNY Mellon executive committee.
- Generated marketing, branding, and iconography concepts for financial API and App Stores
- Led development and integration of UX process with a subsidiary into IT group Development LifeCycle (DLC)
- Developed financial KPIs with analytics and business teams to evaluate and promote UX contributions
- Led designer for BNY Mellon’s Digital Workplace initiative to increase productivity via collaborative technologies
SR UX DESIGNER, Tekzenit, Dallas, TX 2013
Provided UX consultation during AT&T’s 2013 e-Commerce consumer billing and device shopping interface upgrades.
WEB STRATEGIST (UX Designer), BMC Software, Virtual, 2012
Provided UX project management, information architecture, and design guidance during website modernization and B2B services promotion to improve marketing nurture streams. Worked on Workload Automation and led Cloud Computing page upgrades which during FY 13 helped increase service contracts and revenue – “Cloud-related license bookings rose nearly 30 percent in the fiscal 2013 first half compared to the fiscal 2012 first half” (* proven by corresponding site UX metric performance improvements). Work included:
- Value Proposition, Project scheduling, Competitive Analyses, and executive summaries
- User testing sessions, metric analysis (Omniture Click Map), interviews, card sorting, and heat map (algorithm simulation)
- Investigated implementing: responsive design, A/B and multivariate testing, and segmentation for varying visitors.
USER INTERFACE DESIGNER, Nokia, Irving, TX, 2007 – 2010
Conducted a broad array of UI/UX tasks in the support of various projects along Nokia’s device portfolio to include: Nokia Messaging (push email) to over 2 Million users, via 68 Operators, in 90+ countries, on 26 devices, VOIP Personal Assistant application, and Lead UX designer for Nokia Social Networking aggregator project.
- Provided UX design project management of timelines, milestones, and level of effort in an Agile (Scrum) environment
- Conducted competitive analysis research to formulate design strategies for social networking mash-up apps.
- Ran conceptual development sessions (i.e. Nominal Group Technique) with team members of various disciplines.
- Supported marketing and sales associates with visual and technical assistance to land and maintain multi-million dollar projects with telecom providers (Alcatel-Lucent, Orange UK, AT&T).
Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Designed (touch, gesture, cursor, and keyboard) UI for mobile software (Symbian Operating System client) architecture, wireframes, and use case scenarios (specifically for the E65, N97, and N8).
- Liaison with client BT (foreign telecom provider) to integrate their Brand and UI design with Nokia’s S60 platform design.
- Tested designs via constructed requirement and usability surveys, cognitive walkthroughs, and think aloud protocol
SENIOR ENGINEER (Human Factors) Bell Helicopter, Hurst, TX, 2005 – 2007
Predominately transitioned from hardware to digital interface design while working on private and government projects at Bell.
Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
Identified interface issues and provide heuristic usability guidance for the U.S. Army’s Common Avionic Architecture System (CAAS) to include improved standardization of terminology and increased navigation efficiency. Improved team communication of CAAS System operation, identified issues for improvement, and assisted with training aids. Guided customization of Chelton flight displays to the 417 model (mission interface pages, visual and auditory advisory information).
Planned, created, revised, and administered Functional Interface Test Procedures and Crew Workload Task Analyses for the overall system integration.
Software Upgrade Implementation and Simulation
Coordinated with simulation team to implement rapid analysis capabilities using virtual reality immersion between crew and aircraft Electronic Mock-Ups.
HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEER, Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., Stratford, CT 2004 – 2005
Had the tremendous learning opportunity of working with two highly experienced human factors engineers on one of the most complex helicopter systems ever created …the Canadian CH-148 Cyclone.
Communicated and collaborated with suppliers, prototyping vendors, project partners and customers. Provided project management of a $40,000 physical Human Factors Mock-up (full-scale fuselage) construction by an external supplier.
Provided development guidance for mission equipment interface pages and visual and auditory advisories. Researched and managed design compliance with: FAR, MIL-STD, SAE, and customer Statement Of Work requirements. Designed and integrated according to: vision, reach, anthropometrics, upgradeability, manufacturing costs, and customer needs.
Computer Aided Design
Conducted Human Modeling integration studies for anthropometric cases within the aircraft environment using CATIA V5.
3 POSITIONS HELD, Georgia Tech University, 1998 – 2002
Product Lifecycle Management (Aerospace Engineering), Atlanta, GA, 2004
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Architecture Department, Atlanta, GA, 2003
Graduate Research Assistant
Research Institute (GTRI), Atlanta, GA, 2002 – 2003
CAPTAIN, United States Marine Corps (Honorably Discharged), 1998 – 2002
During over four years of service I received some of the finest management training in the world (educationally, mentored by senior officers, and OJT). Key attributes acquired included ensuring facilitating team collaboration, contingency planning, decisiveness, sound judgment, taking care of and motivating colleagues, and most importantly clear communication.
Maintenance/Airframes Division Officer, Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron-773, May 00-Mar 02
- Managed and guided technical and professional development for 25 maintenance personnel.
- Saved the squadron $5,000 by proactively seeking alternative means to complete training and procure equipment.
- Ensured readiness and accountability for $300,000 worth of Aviation Life Support Systems.
- Aviator, Jan 98-Dec 00
- Aircraft commander responsible for the safe operation of multi-million dollar aircraft.